18 October 2009

That's the Fact, Jack!


My weekend has been all about Jack. First there was the new printing company I wanted to try for edible images on cupcakes. I was so happy to find a place in France that did this versus waiting out the deliveries from the UK. I didn't have a particular client for these so I decided to order some Halloween-related images. Luckily when inspiration struck, I came across this post and adorable carved pirate pumpkin picture.




The blog authors were very, very kind to give me the okay to use their image for my little experiment. I tried two types of edible sheets - one in sugar and one in something called azyme which is a communion wafer consistency (so says the hubby). My daughter devoured the sugar image in no time flat which I took as a good sign. Is it so bad I use my 2 year-old as my taste tester? She hasn't let me down yet!



I made 3 batches of cupcakes with these sheets: 1 dozen Mademoiselle Orangette (orange spice with a chocolate ganache frosting) and 1 dozen vanilla cupcakes with cotton candy buttercream (a new recipe I am tinkering with) were donated to the bake stand at the MESSAGE Bring & Buy today. The last dozen was gobbled up by some of my son's friends at a playdate yesterday. These were made as my last entry to this month's Iron Cupcake Earth : Music with the intent of getting on the Ellen Show. This batch was pumpkin spice with a choco-chestnut buttercream. They are inspired by the old Ray Charles' classic - Hit the Road, Jack. You can read about what I am competing for here and the recipe is below.



In other Jack news, I had an order today for a Jack Russel terrier owner/lover's birthday cupcakes. Her daughter requested Jack Russel Terrier heads on some of the cupcakes. Who am I to argue? I hope Gen and her Jack (Russel that is) enjoyed these special treats.



Hit the Road, Jack Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Choco-Chestnut Frosting:
Makes about 18

For the cupcakes:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I like McCormick's Saigon Cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup pureed fresh-cooked or canned pumpkin
3/4 cup buttermilk

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in pumpkin

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a bowl.

Add half the sifted dry ingredients and mix. Add buttermilk and mix until well combined. Add in second half of dry ingredients and mix until smooth and well-combined.

Fill greased or lined cupcake tins 2/3 full and cook at 375° for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from tins and allow to cool on grill.



Choco-Chestnut Frosting
(I don't know if you can get this in the US, but you easily find a sweetened puree of chestnuts in cans here in France. It is devilishly good when combined with chocolate). For the frosting, I used:
about 1/2 jar of Marc Dutheil bio crème de marrons (about 100 grams)
1 bar chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream

Break up chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl. In a small casserole, heat cream until just about boiling. Add creme de marrons, stir and remove from heat. Pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 1 minute then whisk with an electric beater until creamy and smooth. Frost cupcakes. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my! Are these available to order?? The combination of pumpkin and chestnut sounds divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat. Could you please tell me where you got your edible images from here in France? Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey and Eun! Thanks for stopping by! Yes, these are avail for order as long as I can get my hands on more pumpkin puree! Eun, drop me an email at info@littlemisscupcake.fr

    ReplyDelete